Choosing the Best Organic Crib Mattress For Your Kids
Eco-friendly materials such as organic fabrics, foams, and woods are becoming popular nowadays due to cleaner lifestyles. People are now more interested in looking for safer mattresses for their kids. But why? What has caused this sudden shift towards what’s natural and ecological?
The answer is simple. From our birth, we are constantly exposed to chemicals, many of which we aren’t even aware of. Did you know that toxic ingredients like formaldehyde can be found in nail polishes and pressed wood? Many more can be found in items you would never even think of, like food packaging.
You should provide the best organic crib mattress for your child that you can afford to ensure their safety. And Just like organic foods, the reason behind switching to organic home furnishing is for a better and healthier future.
If you don’t feel convinced just yet, here are a few more reasons why switching to organic is so important, and why it should concern you.
- Excess glue – Cheap and standard crib mattresses contain an unnecessary amount of glue in its structure to keep it firm. This doesn’t sound bad per se, however many glues contain ingredients which are very harmful to children. Some even contain VOCs (or volatile organic compounds) which can be found in paint. A bed is where your child spends at least 8 hours daily, so something like this should not be overlooked.
- Polyester – The fabrics found in crib mattresses often contain polyester. Polyester is bad for all of us because it can cause respiratory tract irritation and severe skin rashes. Next to that, it’s also bad for the environment – it is not biodegradable, and is suspected of being the number one cause of microplastic in the ocean. If you care about your children, you should also care about their future – and about what kind of world they will live in.
- Vinyl – Thinking of all the potential accidents, it is not surprising that parents often look for a mattress with a waterproof surface. What they don’t know, however, is that the effect is achieved by using polyvinyl chloride, better known as PVC, which can be very harmful. Vinyl is toxic, unhealthy to breathe in and it releases vinyl chloride as well. Next to that, it is a known carcinogen and can cause liver cancer. And to top it all off, vinyl can crack and trap sweat, skin particles, etc. in it, which your child will then breathe in. If you are looking for a waterproof mattress, you should make sure that the cover is not harmful to your child.
- Brominated fire retardants – These chemicals can be found in any soft furniture, and non-organic crib mattresses are no exception. The problem with fire retardants is that they are bioaccumulative. Bioaccumulation is the accumulation over time of a substance (especially a contaminant) in a living organism, meaning that your pets and other family members aren’t safe, either. Experiments have shown that brominated fire retardants might lead to problems with the thyroid, might cause developmental problems with learning and motor skills, and can even cause cancer. This means that you should plan your mattress purchase carefully and not hastily decide upon it.
To conclude, getting the best organic crib mattress that your wallet will allow you is very important. Without exaggeration, it might be the most important purchase that you will ever make – simply put, a bed is where we spend about one-third of our lifetime, not counting the time when we are sick, taking an extra nap in the Sunday afternoon, or just spending time on our phone.
You should know that an organic crib mattress helps relieve pressure and increases blood flow. Not only will your child sleep on a healthy, non-toxic alternative to basic mattresses, but you will also ensure that they get a good night’s sleep – and we believe that you already know how important sleep is, and what a difference it can make to drift off to sleep peacefully and wake up feeling refreshed and rejuvenated. In the following segment, we will talk about some of the best organic crib mattresses on the market.
Advantages of Choosing Organic Mattress
For most people who are considering organic mattress, aside from comfort, the most important thing that you can have is the safety of your children and the environment.
Here are other benefits of organic mattress:
- Hypoallergenic Materials – organically-grown latex and wool are hypoallergenic as it is produced with no pesticides and other chemicals treated.
- Non-Toxic Fire Barrier Methods –passed flammability test because it does not have chemicals like flame retardants, adhesives or glues which cause strong odors and off-gassing.
- Free of high-VOC Chemicals – tested for VOC levels such as Greenguard, Eco-Institute or Oeko-Tex for safety.
- Customizable – customers have the ability to choose the firmness levels, and can be made or assemble to order.
- Sustainable Farming and Manufacturing – sustainable woods, organic cotton and wool, and materials are recyclable or biodegradable to kinder the environment.
Traditional Mattress versus Organic Mattress
Include innerspring beds with several foams and fiber layers, latex mattresses, memory foam beds, and water beds.
Include innerspring beds with natural padding and fabric and latex mattresses.
Usually made from synthetic materials such as polyurethane foams, vinyl, polyester fabrics, press boards, and other fibers.
Usually made from cotton and organic wool for the padding and fabric.
|Often treated chemicals like dyes, flame retardants, antimicrobials, and adhesives that harm the air and the environment.||Foams are made from organic latex tress to create organic latex beds.|
Naturepedic Verse Organic Kids Mattress
One of the best organic crib mattresses that are perfect for your kids is from Naturepedic Verse. This mattress is designed not only for a crib or toddler bed but for big kids also. This means that if you get a new addition to your family, you don’t need to worry – regardless of age, Naturepedic’s got you covered.
The verse provides a firm support with a soft top quilt that is needed for a growing child. The quilted surface also contains wool batting, which will provide superior temperature regulation. Your child will surely love this healthier and safer mattress and which guarantees a good night’s sleep.
This mattress is also labeled as ‘firm’, or number 1 on the scale from 1 to 4, where 1 represents the firmest option available and 4 represents the ultra-plush option, which is the softest.
- Each Verse mattress is handcrafted with 7 inches encased coils to ensure the comfort and quality of your child. The encased coils make the mattress more breathable, keeping your child feeling cool.
- The top quilt is a pure organic cotton which offers a luxurious feel.
- Naturepedic Verse mattress is shipped in a compressed and roll-packed box for a convenient delivery and setup. The shipping is through ground delivery which only requires a smaller shipping cost. You don’t have to worry about the setup because it includes an easy instruction to assemble that would take just a couple of minutes.
- Since it is organic, rest assured that there are no harmful chemicals. It is certified safe and non-toxic that pass Global Organic Textile Standard, Greenguard Gold Standard, and UL Formaldehyde Free Standard.
- Without flame retardants or polyurethane foam, any health or toxicity concerns will not be a problem anymore. The materials used in the mattress is protected from any harmful chemicals like memory foam, soy foam, and eco-foam.
- The manufacturer offers a 10-year warranty and provides help with finding the best mattress for your child.
Eco Classica III Eco-Friendlier Crib Mattress
The Eco Classica III mattress from Colgate Mattress™ is a mattress that was made with both comfort and ecological awareness in mind. It has a dual-firmness characteristic, meaning that it’s more firm on one side and less firm on the other, and that it’s possible to switch to whichever one you prefer to sleep on. It is GREENGUARD ® Gold certified, CertiPUR-US ® certified, CPSIA compliant, and compliant with all federal and state flammability requirements. The company itself has been dedicated to children’s safety for over 60 years.
Interestingly enough, the company also mentions that Christy Carlson Romano, the voice actor that voiced the title character in the animated series ‘Kim Possible’ also chose exactly this mattress.
- Dual-firmness foam mattress provides you with the choice between the firmer side and the softer side. This allows you to choose a side you wish to sleep on.
- 6’’ thick eco-friendly foam made with sustainable plant oils, which is good both for your child and nature. 6’’ means that it’s considered a thin mattress and that it compliments a contemporary bedroom because such a mattress will not look clunky or tall.
- Ultra-soft certified organic cotton cover which includes a food-grade waterproof backing. This ensures that your skin is the closest to cotton while also keeping the mattress dry. This is important because if a mattress gets wet, it is possible for mildew to form, which can cause allergic reactions.
- Includes an inverted seam design that promotes durability, and a square-cornered design for a snug fit into the bed frame (provided that it’s standard-size, by American standards)
- Naturally fire-resistant flammability barrier. Should, for example, a candle fall onto a mattress and the mattress lights on fire, a flammability barrier will decrease the amount of heat and the intensity of flames, allowing for people to safely leave the room. This is why it’s so important.
- GREENGUARD® Gold and CertiPUR-US® certified safe for no harmful emissions. It is also hypoallergenic and phthalate-free for maximum safety.
- These mattresses are hand-crafted.
Graco Premium Foam Crib and Toddler Mattress in a Box
The Graco Premium Foam Crib Mattress is one of the best organic crib mattresses that you can get. This mattress is ranked number one in the crib mattresses category according to the Amazon Best Sellers Rank and has a 4.3/5 score in the Customer Reviews.
This mattress is advertised to be of ideal firmness, which is important if you wish to be as comfortable as possible. It is also important for safety because a mattress that is not firm enough might cause discomfort (especially to children, and even more so to toddlers) and even cause injuries. It also supports the natural growth of children and helps support their bones which are being developed in this stage of life. This mattress contains four layers: the embossed quilted polyester cover (with a moisture barrier), a separation barrier, a fireproof barrier, and a polyurethane foam core.
The mattress is manufactured by StoreCraft, and they boast over 70 years of manufacturing quality furniture for infants, toddlers, children, and teens. It ships compressed in a lightweight, easy-to-carry box. The mattress should be taken out of it up to two weeks after shipping in order to allow it to expand at room temperature and reach its full size and height.
- Designed to fit a standard full-size crib. Its size is 52 x 27.6 x up to 5 inches, and it weighs 7 pounds.
- The outer cover is water-resistant, removable and hand-washable. This makes it extremely convenient in case of any spillage or simply for regular cleaning. The cover is to be washed in cold water with mild soap (no bleach), and line-dried. This is also important for the child’s hygiene.
- Made of high-quality, breathable foam, which maximizes airflow. We all sweat in our sleep, and if the mattress doesn’t have good airflow regulation, it will become a health hazard eventually, and might even get an unpleasant odor. Breathability is definitely a quality you should look for in a mattress.
- For extra peace of mind, you should know that this mattress is GREENGUARD® Gold Certified, has no prohibited phthalates, lead, or mercury, and meets all of the Federal flammability standards. The Greenguard certificate guarantees that the product and materials were tested for low chemical emissions. This means that by choosing this mattress you promote good health of your family and support the environment.
- This mattress comes with a 6-year guarantee.
Wonder Dream Crib Mattress
The Wonder Dream Company claims that they’ve conducted research and understood what the key features of mattresses are, however, that they haven’t found a single mattress that had all of these key features. Thus, Wonder Dream Crib Mattress was born.
In this mattress, they have combined breathability, health, and cleanliness, and they have strived to provide a comfortable night’s sleep while taking care of the child’s development.
Loss of sleep can hinder a child’s development; therefore, it’s important to ensure that they sleep well. The Wonder Dream company claims that they offer the best features available (plus that they’ve added a few of their own) and that the child’s health and safety should not be compromised. The mattress is also hypoallergenic.
- The dimensions of this mattress are 52″ x 28″ x 5″.
- The mattress is 100% breathable and helps regulate temperature by allowing the air to pass through the mattress. To recap, this is important because the lack of breathability might lead to mildew, a fungus that can cause allergic reactions. It is also firm so you don’t have to worry if your child will jump on it.
- The mattress contains no VOCs, no off-gassing or toxic emissions. We believe that you can tell how important this is for your child since you should strive to provide only the best for them. The mattress also doesn’t contain foam, latex, springs, glue, or allergens. The backside is fireproof but doesn’t contain chemicals.
- The cover is made from organic cotton, it is water repellent, removable and machine washable. This helps your child’s hygiene and makes it much easier to clean in case of any accidents. It is also antibacterial and antimicrobial.
- The Wonder Dream crib mattresses offer a full perimeter edge support, which is important for younger children. Not providing this might end up with them injuring themselves by getting stuck in between the crib’s wooden bars.
Nowadays, people are turning for organic foods, furniture, and materials to help conserve the environment. Natural resources will vanish in a blink of an eye if we forget to take care of them. Mother Nature should be prioritized in able for humans to enjoy a cleaner, greener, and healthier life. Everyone has a responsibility in this world that must be considered in every decision. Choose to live in a safe environment.
If you would like to look into cheaper alternatives to this crib mattress, look into our 5 best crib mattress choices.Buy now